- Barolo Ravera 2007 (F. Roddolo) Not the familiar Ravera but rather "Ravera di Monforte", which is possibly why the vineyard appears in a tiny font. Whatever, this is the real thing, fragrant tar and roses but a touch of the earth. A little rustic, one might say, yet I feel that is what gives it the sense of being an entirely traditional wine. At first, slightly dull and possibly a bit reductive; a day later it looks and drinks its best. Really good - the sort of wine that is fast disappearing from the planet.
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 06/08/2017 Return to top
- Champagne Vieille Vigne de Cramant 2004 (Larmandier-Bernier) Who says low dosage wines do not mature well? This has lovely, chalky chardonnay fruit, carries its years lightly and is entirely elegant. Delicious. Top
- Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese 1999 (J-J Prum) What can one say: work of the master. Drinking beautifully.
- Kiedricher Sandgrub Spatlese 1983 (Langwerth von Simmern) Not a grand wine, fully mature, gentle and entirely pleasurable to drink.
- Taylor's Terra Feita Port 2001 I had the Vargellas 01 a while ago: my feeling is this is a bit more voluptuous but a little less intellectual. Nevertheless, it has that attractive Taylor dry strength. Good value. Top
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 05/08/2017 Return to top
- SP68 Bianco Tere Siciliane 2016 (Occhipinti) Quite far out on the natural scale, with elderflower fruit and some bruised apple after a while. Rather good of its sort, but still to my taste a bit tiring to drink despite its modest 12% alcohol.
- Soave Classico Vigneti di Foscarino 2014 (Inama) Also fairly low alcohol at 12.5%, nice fruit and that hint of bitter almonds. Rather attractive - I've always enjoyed this cuve.
- Zinfandel, Ziegler Vineyard 2000 (Joseph swan) Possibly losing intensity a little at this age, but this is still delighful, elegant wine.
- Chateau Leoville Barton 1975 If the answer is 42, then the question must be "how many years should one cellar Claret from a tough, traditional vintage". This is really nice now, all the aggression of the 75 tannins gone and classical, cedary fruit showing well. It is not a great wine but I have a soft spot for it - so I will stretch to a bare
Tasting notes added to Fine Wine Diary 28/07/2017 Return to top